Sunday, March 30, 2014

Growing up is hard to do!



Growing up is hard enough without parents making mistakes hindering that growth. I love my kids and would never intentionally do that. But I have been made aware that in some cases, I was doing just that.

Emmalyn is going through the "I want only Mommy" phase. Where she would once go happily to Grandma and Dane, and now is hesitant. Lately, she required time to warm up. So as to not upset Emmalyn I would let her do just that. But the time it took to warm up was becoming longer and longer.

One morning I had just woken up with Emma and needed to pee. I had carried her downstairs and asked Dane to take her so I could go to the bathroom. As I went to hand her over, she clanged to me and whined. Dane insisted she'd be fine, but I didn't want her to cry for me while gone so I took her with me. At that moment while sitting on my throne with Emma on my lap I realized what I was doing. I was damaging the relationship she had with her father. The same relationship where she would gladly go to daddy every Saturday morning, to let mommy get some much need sleep in time with Sam. Dane's a great father! He knows how to make our kids comfortable and happy. In fact, he's the clown in our house bringing seriousness down a notch, helping us all to see the see the bright side of life! He's quickly fixed the gap between him and Emma, I just needed to let it happen.

Next, I'd like to share some insight Maddy gave me. One night while getting Sam and Emma ready for bed with me (yes they still bed share my bed), she asked me when I was going to get them sleeping in their own beds. Advising me (yes my 10yr old) that they would never be able to get to sleep on their own if they didn't learn soon. Those of you who know what she is going through now, know how much meaning that statement meant!

HMM.. any thoughts on how to get Sam and Emmalyn to start comforting themselves without my hair. I really hate the hair pulling! OUCH. Yes, it's loving to put your kids' needs above your own, but I believe it's blinded love to not differentiate between wants and needs. What they need is to be able to comfort their selves with out mommy, I can't always be there.



No comments: