Sunday, July 20, 2014

A church is just a church right?

Memories at Trinity Lutheran Church...


Emmalyn's baptism - 2012 (Pastor ?)
Samuel's baptism - 2008 (Pastor Kasting)
Madelyn's baptism - 2003 (Pastor Kasting)
Christian's baptism - 2001 (Pastor Kasting)
My baptism - 2001 (Pastor Kasting)
Married - 1999  (Pastor Kasting)
Dane's baptism- 1976 (Pastor Ruthenbeck)

I have a lot of memories at TLC, but memories aren't the only thing that I hold dear. A church is not made up of bricks and mortar but of other worshipers. The Christians at our church have a genuine love for Christ and show that in many ways. Their greetings to one another, their attention drawn to the pastor's words, their voices praising in song, and their actions to share with insiders and outsiders.

I recently decided to judge our church. To do so, I needed a comparison. While visiting another, only myself and another time with Emma and I. Judged the content of the Word and the people hearing it. I listened with open ears but held true to my known faith. And looked around at the worshipers to search the tenor and faith. The reaction to my child showed me how accepting and tolerant they are of others. No, I was not going to send my child downstairs for Sunday school at a new church while I worshiped with the "grown-ups". 

Jesus loved little children because of how pure their faith was. They have no filter and say what's on their mind! They have yet to encounter all the bitterness of this world and can see things unmasked by the Holy Spirit.

My children are good judges of people and can tell if they are warm and inviting then jump in without concern. This is why I love TLC! My children feel at home smiling at people, they don't hold back and are themselves,  excited to be there and are not afraid.