Monday, August 4, 2014

SAM - "Can you give me a dream?"

Self Confidence


It was your first day of kindergarten, and you woke up nervous to start the day. Without a fuss, you dressed in your favorite outfit and combed your hair to look so handsome. With your favorite boots to match! 


Once at school, I introduced you to your teacher, who helped you start the craft all the kids were working on. You colored your name tag, which had "SAMUEL" written on it, and decorated it to your liking.


At recess, the teacher called all the kids from class over to have a race. You had always dreamed of being in an actual race, but today you were terrified. Horrible thoughts stirred in your mind, butterflies fluttered in your tummy...What if I fall, what if I look silly, what if I lose? Letting those mean thoughts overrule your desire to race, you asked the teacher if you could go to the bathroom. Behind a bathroom stall, you hid deciding you would wait until the race was over. Just then the door swung open Flash Gordon skidded to a stop.


Flash -  "Dude I heard there is a race about to start! Why in the world are you in here instead of at the starting line?"


Sam - "I'm too scared to run!" "What if I fall, what if I look silly, what if I lose?" "Besides, I'm not very fast in these cowboy boots!"


Flash - "Wow those are the coolest boots I've ever seen!" "Hey, I have an awesome plan!" "How about you let me wear your boots while I sit back and watch the race, and you can wear my shoes!?" "They are super fast, You're sure to win!"


Sam"Really, you'd do that for me?"


Flash"Sure would little dude."


You hurried and switched shoes with Flash before heading to the starting line. Once there, all the other kids OOOWED and AHHHED over your cool red and yellow racing shoes. Your teacher held up her scarf.."On your mark, get set, go!" With the wave of her scarf, you and your classmates took off in a flash.


You ran as fast as you could! Everything around you seemed to blur by. You crossed the finish line first with an enormous smile on your face. There was clapping from the sidelines where Flash was watching and cheering. The other kids soon crossed the line, cheering for you as well. Then the little blonde girl from your class walked over and congratulated you. "Great job, Sam! You were amazing! I like your shoes, but I liked your cowboy boots better!"


Hearing that you decided it was time to switch back to your beloved boots. You walked over to Flash who was polishing the boots with his sleeve.


Sam "Thanks for letting me borrow your race shoes." You sat down to take the race shoes off.


Flash"Bummer dude, I was really starting to get attached to these boots." He then took them off and exchanged them for his racing shoes.


Sam - "Ah, now my feet feel so much better," you thought to yourself while admiring your boots.

No comments: