Wednesday, November 10, 2021

Blast from the past!

 

Me, Nicole, Natalie, Mary, and De-De. 

Finding this gem today packs a lot of memories I buried. My entire outfit was one I hated but wore because Grandma bought it for me. I don't think I ever wore it to school. You see, every year my Grandma would buy my back-to-school clothes (something my family was always grateful for I assume because they didn't have the money to do so). This particular year I remember my Grandma asked me if I would like to live with her (my parents had recently gotten a divorce), she said all the great things about living in Utah like I would be able to attend another year in Jr. High before highschool (like that would change my mind). Anywho... my main goal when shopping was to fit in! Note: Utah clothes are VERY different than California clothes (California was usually a couple of years before the rest of the states in regards to fashion). When shopping I came across a Guess bag (Guess was a popular brand back in the day). I asked my Grandma to buy me the bag as I thought it would help me fit in. See in the picture that pink bag? That is not the Guess bag I asked for. Nope, that day Grandma decided to teach me a lesson. Instead of paying $20 for something name-brand, she taught me to make it myself. That pink bag was my first sewing lesson. I was upset, yet sucked it up. Being me was a hard thing to do growing up in a world that didn't understand or care to ask what I needed or wanted. However, I am grateful for the memories with my cousins and the lesson on how to sew.