Wednesday, March 18, 2020

2020 Quarantine - Day 5

Taking Sam into the clinic was something out of a movie, the usually busy parking lot was bare. Upon entering the building an employee stopped us to ask a few questions such as, do you have a cough, are you experiencing shortness of breath? Sam still had a bad cough and was given a mask. In the pediatric department, only one other family was waiting to be seen. I was grateful to see it wasn't busy, that was our biggest concern about going in. I offered my phone for Sam to play on but he just wanted to sit and mope. We were called back right away by a nurse in full PPE (personal protection equipment, an acronym we all now know). While being evaluated they must have changed gloves 10 times! No wonder there are now shortages everywhere! Take history; change gloves, take BP and temperature; change gloves, type results in the computer; change gloves. In the end, the doctor couldn't tell me if his ear pain was bacterial or viral. Said it could go either way and gave me a prescription "just in case." Hmm, isn't that what I suggested in the first place? The good news that came out of the visit, I convinced them to do a flu test. A short time later we received the call that confirmed Sam tested positive for influenza A. While it sucks he caught this horrible flu bug, it's a blessing to know it will be over soon!