Sunday, October 26, 2008

Points


This Sundays sermon was about how one gets into heaven. It went something like this:
The story is told of the lifelong Presbyterian who died and, upon arrival at the Pearly Gates, encountered St. Peter who said to him: "Listen, this is how it works. You need 100 points to get into heaven. You tell me about your life; I will give you a certain number of points for each incident, depending on how good it was, and when you reach 100 points, you're in."
"Okay," says the man with a certain relish. "I was married to the same woman for sixty years and never cheated on her, not even in my heart."
"Wonderful," says Peter, "three points."
"Three points? Well, I attended church all of my life, rarely missed a Sunday, tithed, was a Deacon, Trustee and Elder, and taught Sunday school--even Junior High Confirmation Class!"
"Terrific," says Peter, "one point."
"One point?" Okay, remember that meal for seniors that I not only helped begin, but continued to work at until my dying day?"
"Excellent," says Peter, "one point."
"Well, what about the homeless ministry I started and supported, not only with my money and by serving meals, but by actually staying over all night about once a month?"
"Fantastic," says Peter, "two more points."
"Two points? That's only seven points. At this rate, I'll never make it, save the grace and mercy of God."
"Bingo," says Peter, "100 points, come on in!"14
It's about humbly accepting the grace and mercy of God. The Pharisee stood before God in arrogance and pride, trusting in his work and demeaning others by comparison, and missed the reason for the law in the first place--lifesaving communion with God. The Tax collector stood before God in humility--knowing and declaring who he was, calling on God to be who God is--and found God's readiness to redeem and be reconciled. That is the power of humility.
My conclusion - it's not works that get you into heaven it's by knowing and believing in Jesus Christ that warrants us to be in his presence for all of eternity! See you there!

No comments: