Saturday, June 13, 2015

Sam - "Can you give me a dream?" - Because we said so!


Sam got in trouble tonight, again. Dane brought him to bed before he was ready and he was having a fit! Flailing about saying he was still hungry and wanted to eat cereal. I said fine, but no TV while you eat. His tantrum intensified, saying things like.


"Life isn't fair!"

"You're the meanest Mommy ever!"

"I don't love you anymore!"

"I want to go live with GaGa!"


I tried to settle him down with the promise of a back rub and then with threats of grounding off all electronics (he loves YouTube, any show that blows things up). After this amount of time, my other children would have passed out from crying, but he was still pissed. I had to come up with something else to calm this child of mine. So I began to explain that we all have rules for a reason.


"Do you think Emma would understand that cars could squish her like a bug..that is why we have a rule to hold our hands while we walk to the car", I said.


Here's where I had fun changing things up a bit.


"Do you know what happens to little boys who eat food past..."  Looked at the time, "Eek, oh no, do you have any idea what time it is?"


At this point, Sam got interested in my obvious ploy to get him in a better mood for bed. I bit my knuckles.


"10 oh 3! That's 3 minutes past the guarding cereal aliens!" "Oh no I've said too much, you must go to sleep, they'll be here any second to check if you're asleep!"


We had fun with this for a bit... then I told him I'd write this story. Yes, I type pretty fast and the tapping of the keys sent him into dreamland where I'm sure he'll dream of alien abductions and cereal spoons.