Monday, December 8, 2008

My diaper stash!

For a surprise, I sent Candina and Natalie one of my favorite cloth diapers, a minky (so soft inside and out) Preston Pants. Candina is very interested in cloth diapering Sienna. So, I thought I'd take this opportunity to show off my diaper stash. These aren't as cute as the newborn diapers that I had when he was just a little guy. But these are the workhorses in our house. A few are missing, as some were in the wash. Yes, I wash my own diapers..there's nothing to it. When you figure the average cost to diaper a kid from newborn to potty training is $1,400 an initial investment of $200 is not bad!

Here's most of it.. washcloths (I made), inserts, diapers

My favorite... Fuzzi Bunz

Close-up of my favorite FB's Bugs, and trains!

Dane's favorite Thrirsties All in Ones...although you can stuff more into them. He likes them because of the Velco tabs :)

Super thin and absorbent hemp inserts 

Also very absorbent microfiber inserts

Dyed infant-size Prefolds (these are what our grandmas used) - I use them for stuffing diapers and burp rags. Have a ton of these!

Diaper liners both fleece (yellow are handmade) and flushable liners! What a great invention...baby poops...you just flush the insert!

2 comments:

Sarah Vertner said...

You're such a greenie! Maggy (our 1yo) has had a rash for almost 4 months now and I was wondering how hard it'd be to switch from disposables at this point... not sure if I'm motivated enough. Might be more motivated to just potty train at this point. I think I will definitely go there if we have any more babies. I plan on coming to your for advice when that time comes, ok?... sounds like you are an expert.

So with all that washing - have you learned how to make your own detergent? works out to about 3-5 cents a load.

AmericanPatriot said...

I know it may sound strange coming from a father, but cloth diapers are the best. Plus the added advantage of cost savings, and you can re-sell them when the kids out grown them. Once again Brandy deserves all the credit for her hard work in researching the best brands. Need advice on cloth diapers, talk to Brandy.